Kale has been a favorite of mine for some time now. Not only is it a super food, but it really is versatile. It can be consumed cook, which is usually how I prepare it, or you can eat it raw. A kale salad is my personal choice for raw kale feasting, and the maple vinaigrette is the perfect fall pairing! While kale can be slightly bitter, the maple vinaigrette is sweet with a little sour. I added some Granny Smith apple and chopped pistachios for layers of texture. Let’s dig in!
Kale Salad & Maple Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch of Kale- Any kind will do, but I used curly kale
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple
- 1/8 cup of chopped pistachios
- 2Tb pure maple syrup
- 2Tb apple cider vinager
- 1/2 Tb Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Be sure to wash the kale throughly! Especially if you get yours from the farmers market like I do. It usually isn’t pre washed like the stuff you get from the grocery store. I do a cool bath with a splash of white vinegar.
- While your kale is washing up, you can chop up your apple and pistachios. I like to leave the peel on the apple for the bright green color!
- Once your kale has taken a bath and is throughly dried you can chop it up. I chop in bite sized pieces and don’t include the stem. You can choose to leave the stem, but I find it can be hard to chew.
- Take all you dressing ingredients and wish them together in small dish. Taste for salt and pepper!
- Once all your ingredients are prepped, layer the salad up your way! I love to start with some kale, add my chopped apple and sprinkle the pistachios around. Pour on the dressing and your ready to enjoy!
This salad could be a great side dish, light lunch, or protein packed dinner if you add some grilled chicken. I didn’t add any blue cheese, but I totally feel a good handful would be delish in this salad! I love this salad and love how versatile it is. I swear it is the power of the kale. (;
*Also, My measurements are approximate. You can certainly add more or less of something to make this salad you own. Enjoy!!