Now that my second trimester is in full swing, and honestly already dwindling down to the third I have been spending time thinking about what we really need for baby’s arrival. I am incredibly blessed to be having two baby showers put on by my friends and family, and so I have put together a baby registry in preparation for the celebration.
Lots of people gave me suggestions on where to register, but in the end I went with Babylist. It is a website that basically allows you to register for items from whatever website you please. Which is really nice!!! I have items from big baby stores and from little online shops. It is also nice because it is in one place, and for many items they show other sites it can be purchased for varying prices.
As many of you know, I like natural, eco, green, crunchy, whatever you might call it product for myself and family, but truthfully not everything I use is organic or natural. I would call myself “crispy” or “light green”. I use what works, what I like, and try to pick what is safe and healthy too. Same goes for things I have picked out for baby. So here it is, what this “Crispy” Mama wants for baby!
- Muslin Swaddles: I chose this Cloud Island brand because they seemed affordable, came in a three pack, and are certified to have not used any chemical or dyes that are harmful to babies!
- Waterproof sheet: I debated as to whether or not we really needed this, but since we have chosen a pack-n-play for our co-sleeping I felt it was needed. Pack-n-play pads are large, kind of bulky, and can’t be stuffed in the washing machine. This particular one is lined with TPU, which is one of the safer options in waterproof baby products.
- Ring Sling: I knew from the beginning I would get one of these. Baby wearing has a ton of benefits. There is a lot of research about how proximity in general with your new baby is fabulous. I PRAY baby feels comfortable in them. I have picked out two, both in neutral colors! I picked the two for the fabric it was made from. Some fabrics are better than others for baby wearing and for breathability.
- Cutie Clip: I have to share this for a few reasons. ONE: The shop owner, Lindsey, is incredibly sweet! TWO: The designs, colors, and safety certification she has on all of her products makes them awesome. I really love how much attention is placed on safety, as well as, functionality of all the products she sells.
- Breast Pump: I picked this particular one because it does not need batteries or electricity to work. It works by creating suction. I have read several reviews and most people seem to like it, especially for on the go or travel. It is BPA free and can be put in the dishwasher too!
- Nursing Bra Pads: Were you gift a ton of free samples of bra pads? I was! They came in every welcome box, OB gift bag, and maternity/baby store rewards program. I hate them! I have never breastfed, so maybe they aren’t so bad. I do not know for sure, but what I can say is that they look like a disposable menstrual pad and feel about as itchy and sticky as one too. That is why I have chosen washable bra pads instead. The ones I chose had great reviews, machine washable, and everyone mentioned that they were soft!
- Cloth Diapers: We are giving cloth diapers a shot! We really like how they can save us money, and how they are also good for baby and planet. We chose these particular ones because the insert is removable, several other both diapering mamas’ suggested them, and they are easy to find.
- Baby Wash and Lotion: I chose the Honest company brand because I have heard nothing but positive things. They are known for having pretty clean ingredients and for being gentle. I have picked out the lavender scent for now, and I even am hoping to use their nipple balm.
- Pacifier: This is something I am not sure if we will use or not. I sucked on my hands and fingers as a child, and my husband used neither. If our baby chooses neither that is fine, but I know breaking a pacifier habit is easier that a finger ones because fingers are attached to the child, pacifiers aren’t. Also, there is research that supports pacifiers being better options for developing mouth and teeth out of the two. I chose this particular one for the lack of chemicals, seams, and comes in a shape good for breastfed babies.
- Toilet Sprayer: You might be thinking “What the HECK is a toilet sprayer?”, but let me just say when I came across this I instantly became less worried about touching whatever ends up in the cloth diaper. Basically its a tiny sprayer that attaches the the clean water from your toilet. You can use it spray off and diapers in need and them flush everything down the toilet where it belongs. Before I saw this, I was wondering what I would do with especially soiled diapers. This solves the problem!
This is not my full list. I have other things like plain onesies, newborn mitts, little bibs, and baby monitor like most new parents. These just happen to be items I chose because of the safety, clean ingredient or manufacturing, or because they were something I didn’t know existed. Baby isn’t here yet, so I can not say whether the items will be worth it or work for us. I have high hopes for them, and chose items I felt comfortable using and seemed to be well loved by other mamas.
Are you pregnant? Have children already? First time mom like me? Share with me in the comments what you are registering for, or what worked for you!!!